College of Health Sciences
MINUTES FOR CAC MEETING
August 1, 2006
The College Administrative Council (CAC) met in the Nursing Conference room from 10:00-12:30.
Dr. Corder called the meeting to order.
In Attendance: Dr. Jan Corder, Juliet Burgess, Dr. Judy Fellows, Dr. Florencetta Gibson, Jay Hicks, Peggy Meredith, Marge Michel, Belinda Morgan, Dr. Paxton Oliver, and Dr. George Roberts.
Absent: Emmy Doughty - excused
- 15 students were accepted into their professional program (4 locally) for the fall semester.
- Dr. Roberts reported on his trip to the conference in Chicago, IL.
- Accepted 25 students into their professional program for the fall semester.
- 4 Research proposals were accepted by ASHA Annual Conference to be held in Miami, FL. Faculty and students will attend in November.
- Accepted 26 students into their professional program for the fall semester.
- Sharon C. and Beverly J. are finishing accreditation preparations for the October 2006 site visit.
- Accepted 48 students into their professional program for the fall semester.
- Accepted 30 students into their professional program for the fall semester with 3 alternates.
- Orientation will be during the Week of Welcome.
- Accepted 35 students into their professional program for the fall semester.
- Case Studies presentations will be August 2 and August 3, 2006.
- Open House for Faculty and Staff is scheduled for Wednesday, August 16, 2006 from 3:00 to 5:00pm.
- Open House for Students is scheduled for Tuesday, August 22, 2006 from 4:00 to 6:00pm.
2. Professional Development Seminar.
- Updated by Dr. Florencetta Gibson.
- It will be on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 beginning at 5:00 or 5:15pm. (This might change.)
- It will be approximately 1.5 hours long.
- Welcome - Dr. Corder - 5 min.
- HIPAA - R/T Faculty - Video - 19 min.
- HIPAA from a Clinical Perspective - R/T senior student - 10 min.
- Professionalism - Nursing Faculty - 10 min.
- Professionalism in Action - Nursing senior student - 10 min.
- Interdisciplinary Link - D/H and CLS senior students (audience involved) - 15 min.
- Where to Find Help! - Dr. Oliver (Introduction of Department Heads) - 10 min.
- Mixer - CODI and OTA students in charge - Nursing Lab
- Dr. Gibson will provide an updated schedule as soon as available.
3. College Policies & Procedures.
- Dr. Oliver addressed this issue and distributed copies of the Policies & Procedures to the DHs
- Review and updates will be ongoing.
- All input should be given to Dr. Corder or Dr. Oliver.
4. University Policy & Procedures.
- CAC will review and receive updates of selected policies & procedures each month.
- A. Travel Forms & Policy.
- Travel forms are available on line.
- Travel authorization forms need to be completed and submitted at least 1 week prior to
- Without the Travel authorization form you will not be reimbursed for travel.
- Travel expense forms need to be completed and submitted within 30 days of return.
- B. Budget Codes.
- Budget Codes were distributed to DHs for departmental use. Use of the 4 digit
extension was emphasized.
- C. Students Pre-Trip Travel Forms.
- Available on line.
- Faculty members are responsible for completing and submitting 10 working days prior
- Forms must be on file with university before travel.
5. Advising in Dean's office.
- Dr. Oliver will advise for Summer II 2007 for departments that have no 12-month faculty.
- Dr. Roberts will handle advising if hired full time for Summer II 2007.
- At this time there are no plans to hire Beverly Jarrell for Summer II 2007. Dr. Oliver will
advise PDHG students during Summer II 2007 if Student Success Center Advisors are not
- Advising procedures need to be delivered to Dr. Oliver and the Student Success Center advisors before Summer II 2007.
- Two Pre-Health Sciences advisors will be in Student Success Center for advising COHS freshmen, in addition they will also handle financial aid appeals.
6. Office supply/copy paper & ink cartridges.
- All office supplies for the departments will be ordered by Judy Kalinich, Administrative
Assistant III, and kept in the Dean's office to be distributed as needed to the departments.
- Copy paper will be ordered by Judy Kalinich, Administrative Assistant III and distributed to
each department at the beginning of each semester.
- Clinic supplies will be ordered by the individual departments from departmental budgets.
- Ink cartridges: 1 black ink cartridge will be ordered for each printer for the fiscal year.
7. Background Checks.
- COHS needs to research student background checks.
- Dr. Oliver provided two company names for consideration. Background Check.com and Verified Credentials.
- This address was also supplied for DH's to use for research. www.tha.com
- COHS needs to research and be ready for future issues regarding background checks.
8. Dean's meeting information.
- Dr. Corder reported to the CAC member that University enrollment is down from last Fall by
about 500 students.
- Dr. Corder also reported that Freshmen enrollment is up this Fall.
- All efforts are being made to increase student enrollment and retention.
9. RSVPs for the Luncheon with Dr. Cofer.
- RSVPs are due by August 9, 2006, please contact Judy Kalinich or Terri Hendrix.
10. Re-organization of departments.
- A University wide committee will be looking into the impact of the new structure.
- Dr. Corder reported that the Provost said that he hopes that an administrative structure can be developed that works for all colleges. If not, each College needs to find a structure that works best for that College.
11. Pay Raise Procedures.
- Dr. Oliver led a discussion about merit procedures.
- Dr. Corder led a discussion about equity procedures.
- There will be no across the board salary adjustments for the COHS.
- Revisions for both merit and equity procedures are due to Dr. Oliver by 11:00am, Friday, August 4, 2006.
- Report is due to the Provost by Monday, August 7, 2006.
12. Day and Time of CAC meetings for Fall 2006.
- DHs will send schedules and suggestions to Dr. Corder by Friday, August 18, 2006.
13. Body Fluid Exposure Plan.
- Marge Michel reported that there is a need to set guidelines for students and faculty who are
exposed to bodily fluids in the course of their duties.
- Acute, community, and on-campus plans need to be established.
- SHS needs to have some follow-up procedures in place to help students and faculty who have been exposed.
14. COHS Faculty meeting
- The meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 8:30am in Sugar Hall Room 259.
- Syllabus length was discussed and Dr. Corder will look into this problem with the Office of Auxillary Enterprises and the book store.
16. New CAC Member
- Dr. Jessica Dolecheck will be joining the CAC in the Fall Semester 2006.
Minutes submitted by Judy Kalinich with approval from Dr. Corder.