Students will be awarded credit hours for MLT ASCP certification and required core
courses completed with a “C” or better grade. Students must complete 10-20 credit
hours (may vary depending on MLT program) of prerequisite science and core courses
and 31 credit hours of professional level Medical Laboratory Science courses.
Core Curriculum and General Education requirements may be offered online. Any pre-requisite course (science) not offered online may be transferred
from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or taken on campus at
The 31 credit hours of required professional level Medical Laboratory Science courses
will be offered online. Verification of clinical competencies required for professional
courses and entry level practice will be assessed in an approved medical laboratory
by an approved preceptor.
The Medical Laboratory Science program at ULM is accredited by the National Accrediting
Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
For more information about ULM's Medical Laboratory Science Bridge Program contact:
MLS Bridge Program Online Coordinator
Medical Laboratory Science Department
School of Health Professions
University of Louisiana Monroe
700 University Avenue
Monroe, LA 71209-0440
318-342-1699 or email@example.com
- Admission to the University and submission of all official transcripts to the Office
of Registrar by the published deadlines, available at www.ulm.edu/registrar.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (uncorrected) on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum grade of “C” or better in all required mathematics, biology, chemistry,
and Medical Laboratory Technician courses. No grade below a “C” will be accepted
for fulfillment of the MLT-MLS Bridge Program.
- Complete and submit the application packet for the MLS Bridge Program. This process can occur concurrently with the ULM's application process.
- If admitted to MLS Bridge Program enroll in pre-requisite general academic courses
each semester until all pre-requisite courses are complete.
- Student will be allowed to enroll in one on-line MLS-Bridge course while working on
- Once all pre-requisite courses are completed, the student will be allowed to enroll
in more than one online MLS-Bridge course.
- Certified as a MLT by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Currently practicing as a MLT with access to all major areas of the medical laboratory
(Hematology, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Immunohematology)
- Must have proof of current license in states with licensure
- MLSC courses require laboratory time outside of work hours to complete clinical competencies
in Hematology, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Immunohematology
If accepted to the MLS Bridge program the student will be required to select a qualified
Medical Laboratory Scientist preceptor that must be approved by ULM to mentor and
validate clinical competencies.