Students will be awarded credit hours for MLT ASCP certification and required core
courses completed with a “C” or better grade. Students must complete 10-20 credit
hours (may vary depending on MLT program) of prerequisite science and core courses
and 31 credit hours of professional level Medical Laboratory Science courses.
Core Curriculum and General Education requirements may be offered online. Any pre-requisite course (science) not offered online may be transferred
from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or taken on campus at
The 31 credit hours of required professional level Medical Laboratory Science courses
will be offered online. Verification of clinical competencies required for practicum
courses and entry level practice will be assessed in an approved medical laboratory
by an approved preceptor.
The Medical Laboratory Science program at ULM is accredited by the National Accrediting
Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
For more information about ULM's Medical Laboratory Science Bridge Program contact:
MLS Bridge Program Online Coordinator
Medical Laboratory Science Department
College of Health Sciences
University of Louisiana Monroe
700 University Avenue
Monroe, LA 71209-0440
318-342-1633 or email@example.com
- Admission to the University and submission of all official transcripts to the Office
of Registrar by the published deadlines, available at www.ulm.edu/registrar.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (uncorrected) on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum grade of “C” or better in all required mathematics, biology, chemistry,
and Medical Laboratory Technician courses. No grade below a “C” will be accepted
for fulfillment of the MLT-MLS Bridge Program.
- Complete and submit the application packet for the MLS Bridge Program. This process can occur concurrently with the ULM's application process.
- If admitted to MLS Bridge Program enroll in pre-requisite general academic courses
each semester until all pre-requisite courses are complete.
- Student will be allowed to enroll in one on-line MLS-Bridge course while working on
- Once all pre-requisite courses are completed, the student will be allowed to enroll
in more than one online MLS-Bridge course.
- Graduate of a NAACLS accredited MLT program.
- Certified as a MLT by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Currently practicing as a MLT with access to all major areas of the medical laboratory
(Hematology, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Immunohematology)
- Must have proof of current license in states with licensure
- MLSC 4022-4053 requires laboratory time outside of work hours to complete clinical
competencies in Hematology, Microbiology, Chemistry, and Immunohematology
- MLSC 4010 will require one laboratory session on the ULM campus to complete competencies
in Molecular Diagnostics
- Submit two letters of recommendation from each of the following:
- MLT Program Director
If accepted to the MLS Bridge program the student will be required to:
- Select a qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist preceptor that must be approved by
ULM to mentor and validate clinical competencies
- Select a qualified proctor for mid-term and final exams in each MLS course that must
be approved by ULM
- Complete Background Check and Drug Screen in accordance with the College of Health
Sciences’ policy (depends on the clinical site’s requirements where the verification
of clinical competencies are performed)