The quality of the graduate degrees granted by the College of Pharmacy at ULM depends
upon the qualifications and expertise of faculty involved in the entire graduate educational
experience. Review of graduate faculty is designed to account for quality, expertise,
and participation in graduate education.
- Appointment to graduate faculty is for 5 years.
- During the last year, resubmission of credentials are required for reappointment to
the graduate faculty.
- Faculty may apply by submitting an application form, a current CV, and any other relevant
- Applications are reviewed by the Graduate Studies and Research Committee in the College
of Pharmacy and provide a recommendation to be sent to the Director of Graduate Studies
and Research for approval, who in turn will send it to the Dean of the College of
- The Dean's recommendation will be sent to the University Graduate Council for final
approval, and the Graduate School will notify the applicant of the outcome.
- Records of these applications, reviews and decisions shall be maintained by the Director
of Graduate Studies for the College of Pharmacy.
A faculty member who is being considered for associate appointment or continued graduate
faculty appointment is expected to show evidence of ongoing creative activity. Therefore,
in order to continue to serve as a graduate faculty member, evidence of achievement
in the following areas must be provided (* denotes associate graduate faculty):
- Holding a terminal degree in one's field (usually the doctorate). *Associate may
apply with exceptional and relevant experience in their field.
- Scholarly publication or creative activity in one's field. Evidence of scholarship
may include publication of books, monographs, articles and research reports, presentation
of papers or lecturs at colloquia and meetings of professional societies, sponsored
research, innovative studies for industry, technical invention and other evidence
accepted in one's profession as a public sign of competency. If not yet in print
or presented, a faculty member may submit documented evidence of acceptance for publication
or presentation to show continued effort. Submitted evidence may include the title
page of a book, the first page of an article including the citation, printed program,
and/or proceedings from meetings. The submitted activity must have been subjected
to external review equivalent in contribution and rigor to the professional standards
of the discipline. At a minimum schlarly activity should include at least three publications or patents where the applicant was either the corresponding author or
inventor within the last five year for graduate faculty and at least one in the last five years for associate faculty.
- Relevant professional service and professional development activities in one's field.
- On-going clinical or field-related experience and expertise. Examples are: consulting,
professional presentations and/or reports, responsibilities in a professional association,
productive recent advanced study, and so forth.
- Graduate Faculty only:
- Serving as major advisor to graduate students
- Teaching graduate level courses
- Serving as a member of graduate student committees.
- Associate Graduate Faculty only:
- Must demonstrate relevant service to the Graduate Program during the past five year
evaluation period. Examples include serving member of a graduate student's thesis
committee or assisting in the teaching of graduate courses.
Department criteria for evidence of scholarly activity and graduate teaching effectiveness
shall be on file in the office of the Director of Graduate Studies and Research in
the College of Pharmacy.
If reappointment to the Graduate Faculty is denied the applicant may appeal:
- Notify the Director of Graduate Studies in the College of Pharmacy in writing and
submit relevant information in support of the appeal.
- The Director of Graduate Studies shall then notify the Dean.
- The appeal shall be reviewed by the faculty member's Dean, the Graduate Council, and
the Vice President for Academic Affairs in the order indicated.
- Each reviewer shall forward the appeal with recommendation to the next reviewer.
- The President shall formally grant or deny appointment to Graduate Faculty status.
- Records of these appeals and decisions shall be maintained in the Graduate School.