December 9, 2011
A message to ULM faculty and staff from ULM President Nick J. Bruno
As we approach the end of 2011, it is truly inspiring to reflect on the accomplishments of our university’s faculty, staff and students.
Your efforts continue to demonstrate the University of Louisiana at Monroe’s quality and have made it easy for us to progress in uncovering for others the secret gem located in Monroe.
I wanted to share with you a list of some achievements that I found to be especially significant in advancing the knowledge of ULM’s reputation to our various constituents. The list below is by no means complete, but it reveals why I am proud of your accomplishments.
- Louisiana’s premier biomedical research center—Pennington—partners with
ULM to advance research of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- ULM, City of Monroe, and Monroe-West Monroe Convention & Visitors Bureau
collaborate on $1 million University Park softball complex
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Biological Sciences Education
Program enters its 12th year at ULM; ULM is one of the original 12 U.S.
universities that officially piloted the freshman bacteriophage genomics
- ULM partners with Texas A&M University at Kingsville to train teachers in high-need, rural areas
- 100% of ULM's pharmacy and health science programs equal or exceed the
national average on their licensure examinations again; this is a continuing trend of the past 10 years
- Student-athletes graduate at the highest single year rate of any Louisiana university
according to NCAA's Federal Graduation Report
- Average ACT score of ULM students increases to a record number for the
fifth consecutive year; enrollment of full-time graduate students increases
15%; number of full-time doctoral students jumps 62%; and the number of
full-time freshmen increases 9%
- ULM exceeds Louisiana performance expectations (GRAD ACT) and scores 102% in the student success objective thanks to extensive student support services
- Wall Street Journal issues the top 10 majors with the lowest unemployment
rates—ULM offers 8
- Louisiana Legislature approves over $17 million in renovations of Sandel
- Louisiana Board of Regents approves launch of Small Business Risk
Management Institute; center mentors local businesses in insurance
- One of the region’s most relied-upon economic information resources, “Factbook,” is published by ULM’s Center for Business and Economic Research
- Secretary of State recognizes Museum of Natural History for outstanding
quality and inducts museum into Louisiana’s Heroes and Heritage Trail
- ULM’s grants and contracts approach $10 million during 2011; this represents a 5.2% increase over the previous year
- ULM technology experts unveil free mobile app, allowing students to access everything they need on their smartphones, including FlightPath
As I speak to many of you around campus, I eagerly anticipate the achievements we will celebrate in 2012
Our institution has talented and dedicated faculty, staff and students who share a positive attitude about this amazing university. I appreciate your continued dedication. Please be assured it is not going unnoticed.
Linda, Christina and I thank all of you for making our first year so rewarding and welcoming us so warmly to ULM and to the community.
We are happy to be here and look forward to working with all of you who share our love for this institution.
Nick J. Bruno, Ph.D.