- Guiding principles5: an expression of the philosophical convictions guiding the organization on a successful
journey. They serve as a foundation for the organization’s mission, vision, and strategy.
- Louisiana Board of Regents1: a state agency created by the 1974 Louisiana Constitution to plan, coordinate,
and have budgetary responsibility for all public postsecondary education and to have
other powers, duties, and responsibilities provided Article VIII, Section 5 of the
Constitution or by law.
- Louisiana GRAD Act2: The GRAD Act was approved by the legislature and signed into law by Governor Bobby
Jindal in June, 2010. As a result, the Board of Regents has entered into six-year
performance agreements with each of the participating institutions. In the agreements, the
institution commits to meeting specific performance objectives in exchange for increased
tuition authority and eligibility to participate in certain autonomies.
- Mission3: a statement that indicates what the organization plans to do and to whom it will
be done. The statement indicates the reason the organization exists. The Mission Statement
serves as the basis for the development of the organization’s focus areas/issues,
outcomes, and strategies.
- Stakeholder7: a person or group that has an investment, share, or interest in something, as a
business or industry.
- Strategic focus areas3: Major areas of the organization that are of concern and that need to be addressed
to enhance or improve the organization (e.g., administration/governance, research,
professional development, etc.).
- Strategic objective4: A broadly-defined target that the organization needs to achieve to make its strategy a success.
- Strategic planning3: the systematic process through which an organization agrees on and builds commitment
among key stakeholders to priorities that are essential to its mission and responsive
to its operating environment. The intent is to sharpen the organization’s focus so
that resources are optimally used to achieve the organization’s mission.
- Strategy5: a process for determining the direction in which an organization needs to move to
fulfill its mission.
- University of Louisiana System6: one of the nation's twenty largest public systems of higher education, consisting
of nine universities located throughout the state.
- University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors1: a state agency created by the 1974 Louisiana Constitution to have supervision and
management of state colleges and universities not managed by a higher education board
created by or under Article VIII of the Constitution.
- Vision1: A statement of what the organization wants to be in the future. The Vision Statement
provides the major long-term direction for the organization’s planning and is the
ultimate outcome to be achieved through the planning process.
1Adapted from http://senate.legis.state.la.us/Documents/Constitution/Article8.htm
2Adapted from http://regents.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=181
3Adapted from http://www.asha.org/academic/DSPDefinitions.htm
4Adapted from http://thelawdictionary.org/objective/
5Adapted from Morrissey, G. L., 1996. Morrisey on Planning: A Guide to Strategic Thinking. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA. 119 pp.
6Adapted from http://www.ulsystem.net/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&nid=19&pnid=0&pid=50&fmid=0&catid=0&elid=0
7Adapted from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stakeholder?s=t