ULM logo

Counseling Center

Special Needs

Counseling Center’s Special Need Operations Due to COVID-19


• Because our office is closed for in-person meetings, we recommend email as the most efficient way to communicate with a counselor who coordinates special need services: kfoster@ulm.edu or storm@ulm.edu.

• If a student prefers an appointment to discuss their request for special need services, they can schedule a Zoom or phone session with a counselor by calling the Counseling Center at 318-342-5220 to schedule an appointment.

• The Counseling Center staff is working and is committed to responding quickly to any inquiries.

• The Counseling Center will not proctor tests in our office until classes/exams are being held on campus.

• The Counseling Center staff are available by phone/email to support students and professors who have questions or concerns.

• Students with special need accommodations having difficulty accessing course content due to a change in format should contact the Counseling Center for additional support and/or to request additional accommodations.

The online forms below are only for student convenience. Students interested in initiating special need services or requesting an updated accommodation letter must communicate with the Counseling Center in addition to completing the appropriate form(s).


Online Forms 

Special Needs Request - Intake Form

Release of Information Form - Academics

Release of Information Form - Residential Life

Elevator Access Request Form



The University of Louisiana at Monroe strives to serve students with special needs through compliance with Sections 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. These laws mandate that postsecondary institutions provide equal access to programs and services for students with disabilities without creating changes to the essential elements of the curriculum. While students with special needs are expected to meet our institution's academic standards, they are given the opportunity to fulfill learner outcomes in alternative ways. Examples of accommodations may include, but are not limited to, testing accommodations (tests read aloud, extended time), sign-language interpreters, relocation of inaccessible classrooms, permission to record lectures and note-taking assistance.

The Counseling Center acts as the point of entry for individuals who have documented learning disabilities and psychological or physical special needs. The accommodation decisions are addressed on an individual basis. The Counseling Center professional, in conjunction with the student, evaluates the effects of the student's disability in relation to the curriculum and academic standards. During this process, faculty and other campus representatives may be consulted to review the academic environment and its relationship to the student. After reasonable and appropriate accommodations are determined, students are required to complete a Permission to Release Information Form. This form authorizes a release of disability information supplied by the student. The faculty members who will be teaching the student with special needs will be provided an accommodation letter by the student which indicates the suggested and requested classroom modifications. The documentation and accommodation letters are retained in the student's file with the Counseling Center so that the student can return at the beginning of each semester to complete a Permission to Release Information Form which is pertinent to that particular semester's coursework.

Accommodations do NOT apply retroactively. If the student neglects to request accommodations from his or her instructors, those instructors are under no obligation to retroactively correct for this. Accommodations apply to present and future, not past, events. 


Documentation Guidelines

Testing Accommodations and Procedures

Student Responsibilities

Before Classes Begin

The First Day of Class

After Last Day to Add Classes

During the Semester

Special Needs Parking

An application for Mobility Impaired Parking Permit and a memo, which are to be presented to the attending physician, can be obtained from the University Police Department or as a downloadable PDF.

Students must have their physician read the memo carefully and complete and sign the application which verified their disability. The student must then present the completed form to the University Police Department for approval. The UPD will provide students with a decal which designates the length of time they are eligible to receive mobility impaired parking.

Students with temporary injuries who apply for mobility impaired parking will be assigned parking privileges for the anticipated length of recovery. Re-application for the permit is necessary if the condition persists beyond 90 days.

For any impairment that is considered permanent by your physician, recertification must be done each Fall for the academic year.

Elevator Access

Students with special needs who require the use of an elevator can have their identification cards activated by the Counseling Center. In order to receive this service, students will be required to present documentation validating their disability, whether permanent or temporary. Students whose documentation must require more extensive verification may refer to the Grievance and Appeal Procedure listed below.

 Grievance and Appeal Procedures

Any student who disagrees with the academic accommodation(s) that have been determined should first speak to the Counseling Center Director. The student should express his/her concerns and be prepared to offer alternative solutions. If, after consulting with the Director, there still is not satisfaction on the part of the student regarding the proposed accommodation(s) or the provision of the accommodation(s), the student should speak with the Dean for Student Affairs. If the student still is not satisfied with the proposed or provided accommodation(s), the student may file a formal grievance with the Chair of the Council on Students with Special Needs. The Counseling Center will assist with this process. The Chair, with assistance of the Disability Determination Subcommittee of the Council, will evaluate the eligibility of the student to receive the requested accommodations. Upon validation of the student's request, the Chair will notify the Counseling Center in writing of the decision. 

For questions and concerns about disability procedures and other disability issues, contact the ULM Counseling Center: Phone: 318-342-5220 | Fax: 318-342-5228