ULM logo
Pass/fail grading information

Published April 7, 2020

An email update was sent to students, faculty, and staff regarding pass/fail grading options. See full email below.


Dear students, faculty, and staff,

The following information is designed to answer your questions about the pass/fail grading process.

A.      Requesting a pass/fail grade is available to those students in a full-semester or second eight-week class in which a letter grade is typically assigned.

B.      For students who request the pass/fail option, the letter grade assigned by the instructor will change to a “P” (Pass) for students who make a grade of:

  1. A, B, or C in an undergraduate course
  2. A or B in a graduate course

(In both cases the pass grade counts toward earned credit but does not affect the student’s GPA.) 

C.      The process to change a letter grade to a pass/fail grade is as follows:

  1. The instructor will assign a letter grade as usual by the grading deadline of 3:00pm Monday May 11th.
  2. A student who wishes to change that letter grade to a pass/fail grade should discuss with her/his advisor the potential negative consequences of that decision.
  3. Once a student has discussed changing the grade to pass/fail and has decided to do so, she/he must fill out the Pass/Fail Request Form, found here https://www.ulm.edu/coronavirus/pf-optionThis form will be available to students in early May. The student must submit the pass/fail request by 3:00pm Thursday May 14th. The decision to request the pass/fail option is irreversible once the form is submitted.
  4. The student's advisor and the student's dean will review the student's pass/fail request and submit the necessary paperwork to the Registrar for processing.

 D.      In order to understand the potential adverse impacts and unintended negative consequences of selecting the pass/fail option, students should consult with their advisors to discuss one or more of the following.

  1. Financial aid eligibility (scholarships, TOPS, grants, loans):  Students should consult with a Financial Aid Counselor.
  2. Students intending to apply to graduate school or a professional program/school, or considering transferring to another institution:  Students should check with the institution to determine how that credit will count.
  3. Athletic eligibility:  Student-athletes must first speak with their Athletic Academic Counselor for approval.

If you have any questions about the pass/fail option, please contact your advisor.

Best wishes as you continue your academic journey.


Michael Camille, Ph.D.

Vice President for Information Services and Student Success

University of Louisiana Monroe