ULM logo

Office of Financial Aid

Information About Grants

What is a Pell Grant?

A Federal Pell Grant is a form of federal financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Students that are eligible for a Pell Grant can also receive other forms of federal student aid. The FAFSA, which is one of the requirements needed to become eligible for a Pell Grant, is also the application necessary for federal student loans.

Am I eligible for the Pell grant?

NOTE: The amount of time in which a student can receive Pell grant has been reduced from 18 semesters to 12 semesters. This change in duration is not limited to students who received their first Federal Pell Grant on or after the 2008-2009 award year, as the HEA previously provided when the duration of eligibility was 18 semester. The federal government will calculate the equivalency by adding together each of the annual percentages of a student's scheduled award that was actually disbursed to the student.


What is the FSEOG Grant?

FSEOG is an undergraduate award to students with exceptional financial need. Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for these awards. The FSEOG awards can range from $100 to $4,000 a year but each school can establish its own guidelines within these ranges. 

Am I eligible for the FSEOG Grant?

What is the Louisiana Go Grant?

The purpose of this program is to provide a need-based component to the state's financial aid plan to support nontraditional and low to moderate-income students who need additional aid to afford the cost of attending college.

Am I eligible for the Go Grant?

Award Amounts **

Award amounts to eligible students are based on the institution's allocation and their packaging policy.  Awards may vary with each academic year.  Awards will not be paid for summer sessions,quarters, or terms.


Renewal Requirements


*Residency: Louisiana resident as of the day the FAFSA is filed and Louisiana is the student's true and fixed domicile as reported on the FAFSA. If student's state of residence on the FAFSA is not reported as LA, but a dependent student claims that a non-custodial parent is a Louisiana resident, or that parents are Louisiana residents living out of state, LOSFA will determine residency based on the completion, by the parents, of a residency affidavit

**Students should check with the financial aid office at the school they plan to attend regarding policy on award calculation and distribution.


What is Institutional Need Based Grant?