ULM logo

Sponsored Programs & Research

Subawardees - obtaining a DUNS number and registering with sam.gov for debarment and suspension certification

Executive Order (E.O.) 12549 calls for the creation of a government wide debarment and suspension system in connection with all transactions with federal agencies. Debarment and suspension are actions taken by the federal government against organizations or individuals who have committed fraud or a criminal offense in violation of federal law. This E.O is implemented in FAR 521.209-5 and 28 CFR Part 67, for prospective participants in primary covered transactions, as defined at 28 CFR Part 67, Section 67.510

The regulations require that the University of Louisiana at Monroe (which is the formal applicant for grant and contract funds) certify that neither the University or the University's officers nor researchers:

1. Are presently debarred, suspended, proposed for debarment, declared ineligible, sentenced to a denial of Federal benefits by a State or Federal court, or voluntarily excluded from covered transactions (defined as being eligible to receive federal funds) by any federal department or agency.

2. Have, within a 3-year period preceding an application for funding, been convicted of or had a civil judgment rendered against them for commission of fraud or a criminal offense in connection with obtaining, attempting to obtain or performing a public transaction or contract under a public transaction; violation of Federal or State antitrust statutes or commission of embezzlement, theft, forgery, bribery, falsification or destruction of records, making false statements, or receiving stolen property.

3. Are presently indicted or otherwise criminally or civilly charged by a government entity (Federal, State, or local) with commission of any of the offenses enumerated in (2) above.

4. Have, within a 3-year period preceding this application, had one or more public transactions (Federal, State, or local) terminated for cause or default.

In this case, the applicant is the University, the principals are members of the University's executive board and/or senior administrative staff, and researchers are the faculty and their professional colleagues who undertake such research activities.

University of Louisiana at Monroe treats this requirement as a negative certification, i.e., that no principals or researchers at the Institution are debarred, suspended, or proposed for debarment or suspension.

Any individual who meets any of the conditions in 1-4 above must immediately notify the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research and are precluded from receiving federally funded grant or contract awards or from being paid with federal funds.

Subawardees Instructions

- How to obtain a DUNS number and register at sam.gov - download instructions [.docx] [1-23-14]

- How to verify an organization or individual:

SAM includes information regarding entities debarred, suspended, proposed for debarment, excluded or disqualified under the nonprocurement common rule, or otherwise declared ineligible from receiving Federal contracts, certain subcontracts, and certain Federal assistance and benefits. This information may include names, addresses, DUNS numbers, Social Security Numbers, Employer Identification Numbers or other Taxpayer Identification Numbers, if available and deemed appropriate and permissible to publish by the agency taking the action.

Each individual faculty and staff member proposing a contract or subcontract must conduct the search and verify that the proposed contractor is not debarred, suspended, proposed for debarment, excluded or disqualified from receiving any federal funds. This rule will apply to all contracts regardless of their funding source. Should your search result in a positive identification, please contact OSPR and/or purchasing office immediately to discuss a possible course of action. Contracting with individuals or businesses identified on the EPLS could have serious consequences for credibility and safety of University operations.

To conduct your search, please visit the website here.

Click on “Search Records” (no log-in required)


 Sam Search Records