ULM logo
Student Affairs
ULM Residential Life

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information, please visit the ULM Guide to Residence Hall Living

Application Questions

Q. When may I apply for housing?
A. After you have been admitted to ULM, you are eligible to apply for housing. The specific dates and application is available at ulm.edu/reslife.

Q. How much do I have to pay when I apply for housing?
A. $500 all together. **Note: Only prepayments are refundable if cancelled on or before May 1st** The following is the Housing Application Payment Breakdown:

At the Time of Application:

First-time Freshman/Transfer Students:           $300    ($200 App. Fee & $100 Prepayment)

Continuing Students:                                      $300    ($100 App. Fee & $200 Prepayment)

Before May 1st:

            All Students:                                            $200    (Another Prepayment)

Q. How do I pay for the application and prepayments?

A. At the time of application, you can Pay Now through the application, pay in person at the campus La Capital Federal Credit Union, or mail a check or money order.

For the second prepayment, you can pay through a link for TouchNet, pay in person at the campus La Capital Federal Credit Union, or mail a check or money order.

If you chose to mail in your payment, include the student’s name and Campus Wide ID (CWID) number in the memo line and mail a personal check or money order to:

ULM Residential Life

Attn: Application Process

700 University Ave.

Monroe, LA 71209

Q. May I choose where I want to live?
A. As long as space is available, we will make every effort to accommodate you in the residence hall of your choice.

Q: Am I allowed to request a roommate?
A. Yes, of the same sex.  We make every effort to fulfill roommate request(s), however; it is dependent upon space availability, the date of the application and paid fees.

Q. When will I receive my assignment?
A. The assignment process begins in March and will continue throughout the summer as long as space is available. As long as you have been admitted to the university and paid your room reservation and prepayment fees,you will be mailed an assignment letter.

Q. Can I request a private room?
A. Yes. Private rooms will be assigned at the end of the assignment period if space is available.

Q. May I live off campus?
A. All unmarried, full-time undergraduates are required to live on campus as long as space is available. For additional information and a list of possible exemptions, www.ulm.edu/reslife/exemption.html.

Q. Does ULM Residential Life have married or family housing?
A. ULM Residential Life does not provide married or family housing as they are not required to live on campus. For additional information about off campus approval, go to www.ulm.edu/reslife/exemption.html.

Q. What about meal plans?
A. Residents are required to purchase a meal plan. A variety of plans are available to meet residents’ unique dining habits, tastes and preferences. Popular on-campus eateries include Chick-fil-A, Subway, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Starbucks, Loco Rico and Grille Works. Please visit dining services at http://univlamonroe.campusdish.com/ for a complete list of meal plan prices and meal plan eligibility.


Unit and Room

Q. What is included in my rent?
A. All rooms in all halls are fully furnished and come with high-speed Internet access, high-definition, expanded cable television with premium channel access, air conditioning and/or ceiling fans, in-room laundry machines or on-site laundry facilities, computer labs, on-site beverage and snack vending machines, and 24/7 emergency maintenance. All utilities and maintenance are included in one low price. 

Q. Are the rooms furnished?
A. Yes. For a list of amenities, costs & floor plans, visit ulm.edu/reslife and select the specific building you are interested in or assigned to.

Q. Which items should I bring with me? What items should I leave at home?
A. Check the ULM Guide to Residence Hall Living, Appendix D Allowed/Prohibited Items. There is also a one-sheet on the Tours & Pricing page.

Q. May I bring furniture from home?
A. Yes, however University furniture cannot be removed from the room.

Q. What is the procedure for room repairs?
A. Go to ulm.edu/reslife and select 'service request' to submit a work order via fixx.ulm.edu. During normal business hours, call the Residential Life Office at 342-5240 to report problems. After normal business hours, on weekends or in an emergency, contact the Building Staff Member on Duty.

Q. Can I paint my room?
A. No. There are many ways for you to decorate your room that do not require painting.

Q. Do all rooms have private bathrooms?
A. No. Masur, Madison and Ouachita Halls have suite-style bathrooms. Bayou Suites, University Suites, and University Commons have a blend of private and semi-private bathrooms. The apartment configurations are 1 bedroom/1 bathroom, 2-bedroom/2 bathroom, and 4 bedroom/2 bathroom.

Q. How do I connect to the WiFi Service?
From your WiFi capable device, look for the wireless network named: ULMDorms-[BLDG NAME].  This is a secured network and the password is available from the Res. Life office each semester.  Internet capable gaming consoles will currently work on the WiFi network, but we highly recommend that you connect your streaming devices and gaming console to the wired jacks.  The WiFi network is a shared network environment by nature of the technology and therefore can experience fluctuations in responsiveness as more user devices are connected.

Q. Do all rooms have cable television?
A. Yes. All rooms have coverage of approximately 98 Apogee channels of standard and high-definition television programming. Channel lineups, setup directions and Apogee service provider's contact information are available in the document.

The channels you get in the room are also available through the Stream2 app from anywhere on-campus, through the school internet/wifi connections. Stream2 is an exclusive service for students living on-campus and allows you to watch live tv and past programs, view the tv guide, favorite certain channels, and record your shows up to 24 hours of programming.

Q. Can I smoke in my room?
A. No. All buildings on campus are smoke free.


Policy and Procedures 

Q. Who are the Building Staff?
A. Resident Assistants (RAs) and Hall Directors (HDs) are exemplary ULM students in good academic standing. They are the “Go-To” people when a resident needs assistance. They work with residents to build community, provide programming, and promote acceptable standards of behavior as outlined in the Student Policy Manual. They serve as the primary resident resource, helping to engage residents with the campus and, when necessary, provide residents with personal encouragement and support.

Q. What if I experience a problem with my roommate?
A. The following steps outline the process when roommates experience conflict:

Step 1: Talk to your roommate. Be honest and let them know what is bothering you.

Step 2: Ask the RA on your floor to help facilitate a mutually agreeable resolution. If
necessary, the RA will create a roommate contract.

Step 3: If the contract fails to rectify the situation, schedule a meeting with Residential Life professional staff who will assist you with finding a resolution.

Q. What happens if I lose my room key?
A. For your safety, the RA/HD can initiate a lock change and charge slip. New keys will be issued to you and your roommates.

Q. Is there a curfew?
A. No. Each resident receives a room key and their personal ID card is programmed to provide 24-hour access to their building.

Q. May I have a visitor of the opposite sex in my room?
A. Yes. Visitation by the opposite sex is allowed in all residence halls, except Ouachita Hall, and as long as it does not infringe on the rights of your roommate. Visitation hours are Sunday-Thursday 12:00pm to 12:00am and Friday & Saturday 12:00pm to 2:00am. Residents are responsible for guests when they enter the building and must accompany their guests from the time they enter to the time they leave. Visitors must be 18 years of age or older unless they are a current ULM student.

Q. May I have an overnight guest?
A. Yes. There is a $15 charge for each overnight guest, not to exceed three days per month. Guests must be 18 years of age or older and of the same gender.

Q. What address do I use to receive mail/packages?
A. Please use the following address format to ensure that your package will be received in a timely manner.

<<Student's First and Last Name>>

ULM Res Life <<Building Name & Room/Box Number>>

700 University Avenue

Monroe, La 71212

Generally, mail/packages sent by USPS will go to the on campus post office before being placed in the student's mailbox. If the mail is too large to fit, a notice will be placed in the mailbox directing the student to retrieve the mail from the on campus post office.

Generally, mail/packages sent by UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. will be delivered to the Residential Life main office. When mail/packages arrive in the main office, residents are notified by Warhawks email that a package has arrived for them and they must provide a student ID to pick up the mail. 


For more information, please visit the ULM Guide to Residence Hall Living.